Help available for those struggling to pay rent

Northampton Borough Council is urging residents who are struggling to make ends meet to find out if they qualify for extra help.

Each year the Government funds discretionary housing payments for those who are struggling to cover their rent, have rent arrears or need help to access more affordable accommodation.

In order to qualify, applicants must already be receiving Housing Benefit, or Universal Credit with an award for housing costs.

Cllr Brandon Eldred, Council Cabinet Member for finance, said: “It is more vital than ever that we reach as many people as possible who might be eligible for this payment.

“There is funding available for a range of things, like helping clear historic rent arrears to helping someone move to more affordable housing, as well as just helping cover ongoing difficulties making rent payments.

“I would urge anyone who thinks they might qualify – or who knows a family member, friend or neighbour who might – to find out more on our website.

“We’re extremely keen to ensure people don’t end up homeless when it might so easily be avoided.”

One-off payments are available to cover moving costs, rent deposits or rent required in advance for those looking to access more affordable housing, or to clear rental arrears, and ongoing support is available to help recipients cover shortfalls in their rental payments.

To make a claim for a Discretionary Housing Payment, applicants will need to fill out an application form, provide proof that they are in receipt of the previously outlined benefits, plus at least two months of bank statements.

Visit to find out more and make an application.