Northampton Borough Council has started rolling out a discretionary grants scheme targeting businesses impacted by the recently ended lockdown but ineligible for previously available funding while restrictions were in place.
The new Additional Restrictions Grant (ARG) scheme is aimed at businesses that were:
- forced to close over the 28-day lockdown period (5 November – 2 December 2020) but which do not receive a rates bill
- not legally required to close but still severely impacted by the restrictions, for example firms that supply the retail, hospitality and leisure sectors or businesses operating in the events sector.
Businesses must have been trading on the 4 November 2020 to be eligible for the ARG.
Eligible businesses that are not liable for business rates and have been forced to close will receive £1,334.
There are four levels of grants for those not legally required to close but still severely impacted by the restrictions depending on their rateable value:
- For properties with a rateable value of £15,000 or under, grants will be £1,334 for the four weeks
- For properties with a rateable value of more than £15,000 and below £51,000, grants will be £2,000 for the four weeks
- For properties with a rateable value of £51,000 or over, grants will be £3,000 for the four weeks.
- Businesses that do not pay rates will receive a grant of £1,334
Cllr Jonathan Nunn, Leader of the Council, said: “We understand there are businesses that desperately need support but would not have been covered by the previous grant scheme.
“So, it was important that we cast our support net as far as possible and help them, especially as they contribute invaluably to our local economy and the town at large.
“I would strongly encourage those eligible businesses to apply as soon as possible so we can begin processing and disbursing those grants to you.”
Eligible businesses that stayed open over the lockdown would need to demonstrate that at least 30 percent of their revenue comes from clients forced to close, or their turnover was 30 percent lower than that accrued over the same period last year.
A single grant to cover the four-week period will be paid to each eligible business.
For further details and to apply, please visit: www.northampton.gov.uk/
You can also email discretionaryfund@northampton.
The deadline for applications is 10 January 2021.